Welcome to the home of Butterfly Psyche Theatre!
Butterfly Psyche Theatre was set up in 2010 and is a small-scale professional, producing and touring Theatre Company based in Bath, Somerset.
We are makers of personal, heartfelt and honest stories for the theatre, placing audiences and artists at the centre of what we do. Our work often explores difficult topics, but we aim to do so with humour and respect. Our goal is to make, quality, relevant theatre with universal issues, through universal stories.
Our work for the theatre includes creating New Work, New Writing, Heritage and Literature, Family Theatre and Community Arts Engagement. We practice an integrated casting policy and we seek to cast actors from all cultural groups and ethnicities. We also seek to provide opportunities for Disabled actors to be cast in our productions.
We believe in promoting health and well-being through theatre by engaging with and within the community. We use theatre arts activity to engage our community by:
- Engaging young people in the arts by promoting an interest in/support of the National Curriculum and literacy
- Enhancing a culture in B&NES for socially conscious arts work
- Engaging with hard-to-reach rural areas and marginalised people within B&NES
- Addressing subject matter/issues that challenge and provoke, while promoting health and well-being through participation.
- Promoting collaborative working with other artists/community groups.
- To create legacy and shared experiences through participatory activities.
Work undertaken includes (but is not limited to): performances, workshops and outreach activity for schools/community groups, professional skills/master-class workshops, Q&As/Post-Show discussions and providing opportunities for local artists.